Plan Your Move – A Checklist
The challenging task of moving can be managed comfortably by planning well in advance. For a successful move the preparation starts before 2 months. Detailing out each and every phase of the moving event before hand helps you a lot and makes things easier. Here is a Moving Timeline for you to guide you through the different stages of moving. This is an exhaustive list of what should be done and when.
6 Weeks before
- Is your company handling your moving? Then find out what really are covered and what exactly you’re expected to do.
- Have a house to sell? Call a real estate agent and let the house go on the market.
- Take an inventory of what you have. Categorize them into throw away, give away and can be sold.
- Arrange for a garage sale if needed.
- Get estimates from at least 3 movers. Consult your friends and relatives before deciding.
- Take a trip to your new home town. When you are looking for a house or an apartment, look for schools also.
- Consult real estate agents of the new area and the websites for more information.
- Get a change of address kit from the post office.
- Notify your move to friends, relatives, neighbors, schools, doctors, dentists, vets, creditors, newspapers, magazines etc. File the copies of the notifications.
- In case you’re moving temporarily into a hotel, arrange for a General Post Office address. From the first delivery it is valid for a month.
- Put a file for the move and file all the notes, receipts and details of moving in that.
- Book the flight tickets if necessary. Arrange for the shipment of your car.
5 Weeks before
- Start emptying the freezer.
- Decide on the mover and approach him. Tell him the complete inventory that you intend to move.
- Arrange for insurance coverage.
- Cancel the magazine subscriptions or have them forwarded to your new address.
4 Weeks before
- If you are doing the packing yourself, get the boxes, tape, packing paper and box markers ready.
- Start the packing.
- Essentials Box: Pack the necessities like towels, tooth brush, toilet tissue, can opener, coffee pot and few dishes in a separate box. You can open this right away after your arrival at the new home.
- Chart out the moving route and book hotel rooms if you stop by en route.
3 Weeks before
- Confirm with the post office about your address change.
- Pack the things in the attic, basement and the garage.
- Give away the things that can’t be packed.
- On the moving day you may need a sitter for the children and the pets. Arrange for that.
2 Weeks before
- Make arrangements for shutting off the utilities. Keep the phone service and the power till moving day.
- Ensure that these utilities, phone service and power are available at your arrival of your new home.
- Check the gas, oil and water levels of your car. Make it ready for the long trip.
1 Week before
- Confirm the details like date, time, route etc. with the mover.
- Keep the jewelry and other important documents with you.
- Keep the checking account and the CDs active.
- Get a cashier’s check for the movers.
- Empty the freezer and refrigerator.
- Return library books and movie rentals.
- Complete the packing.
- Arrange for someone to supervise the movers.
- Read the bill of lading thoroughly before signing.
- Make sure the mover has a number (Cell phone) in your new town.
- Take a final checking before leaving. Be sure you have taken everything.
- Keep the thermostat at proper setting.
- Turn off the appliances.
- Lock the doors and windows.
- Give the keys to the right person, a friend or real estate agent as the case may be.
- Inform the police that the house is vacant.
- Be there before the movers.
- Ensure phone service and power is there.
- Have the check ready for the movers.
- When the movers unload supervise.
- Check for any damaged items.
- Review bill of lading before signing.