Moving can be a tricky process, especially if you’ve never done it before. There are a lot of moving parts that need to be taken into consideration (pun intended). If you could use some help with scheduling the whole process, we’ve put together this checklist for what you need to do as part of your residential move and when you should do it…
5-6 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Choose a residential moving company that you can trust with the safe transport of your belongings.
- If you have to sell your house, contact some real estate agents and put your house on the market.
- Start to take inventory of your belongings and host a garage sale to declutter.
- Notify any friends, family, doctors, schools, or mail subscriptions of your move.
3-4 Weeks Before
- Arrange transportation to your new home and book any necessary hotel rooms.
- Attain moving boxes and packing supplies, including tape, markers and stickers or labels.
- Start to pack your things. Remember to label every box!
- Confirm your address change with your post office and arrange a date to shut off your utilities.
1-2 Weeks Before
- Make sure utilities will be available upon your arrival at your new home.
- Pack the rest of your belongings, saving your Essentials Box containing all your toiletries and valuables for last.
- Keep calm and get ready to enjoy your new home!
For the complete moving timeline, take a look at our Moving Guide to help you plan your move. For more information about our moving and storage services, give us a call or fill out our online form for your free quote today!